Sunday, June 27, 2010

i love sundays

I love Sundays for a few reasons, but one of the main reasons is because postsecret.com updates their website every Sunday. Post secret is my favorite blog to follow, of all time. The concept of the site is simple but what can be found there can be funny, heartbreaking, beautiful, sad and moving. People from all over create a post card, and write their secrets on it and mail it in anonymously. The post cards get published in books, but also updated on postsecret.com. Sometimes the "secrets" are actual secrets, but sometimes they are just things that people are afraid to say out loud.

The creator of the website, a man named Frank Warren, spoke at Penn State my freshman year. He told the audience that he went through a time in his life where he was depressed and had decided to kill himself, however it was knowing that he wasn't alone, from the secrets, stories and confessions of other people, that saved him. He started the site as an attempt to 'pay it forward' and help other people by making it public that everyone goes through things they are afraid to say out loud.

The site is more than a blog, it's been a sort of a cultural phenomenon. The site is extremely popular and the kind of art on the front of the post cards has started a new form of art, appropriately called "mail art," I even was quizzed on this art form, and post secret, in one of my college art classes. The site has also achieved the purpose that Frank intended it too, it has saved lives and let people know that they are never alone. Every few weeks, there is a card posted that says "I was going to kill myself, until I read this secret....(insert older post secret here)."

Just two weeks ago, this secret was posted:


Within a few HOURS of the secret being posted, there were facebook groups, having almost 60,000 members by the end of the week, that were supporting and encouraging whoever wrote this secret not to give up, not to do it, and that he or she was not alone. Then, the following week, followers of this story organized a rally against suicide on the Golden Gate, the place where most suicides occur.


Click to read the article in TIME

My friends can affirm, I love this website. I have one of the books on my night stand and save the images of my favorite secrets every week, resulting in a "P.S" picture folder on my computer that most likely takes up more memory than I would like to admit.

If you haven't visited the site before, you should try it out. So simple, but so powerful. There are also tons of youtube videos out there that show case 'stand-out' secrets, and I could watch them for hours (and have on one or two occasions, shh). This is one of my favorites, I hope you enjoy and can see why people love this website. 


1 comment:

  1. sometimes i purposely wait to check out postsecret in the middle of the week so i have an excuse to procrastinate. =)

    ReplyDelete