Friday, December 10, 2010

time keeps moving

even though I wish it wouldn't sometimes.

Yesterday, I finished my last fall semester of college and also had the last day of my internship. I was, and am, so excited to put a semesters worth of hard work and sometimes stressful moments behind me and move forward to spring semester. Where I'm getting caught up, you see, is that I'll move into spring semester naturally and without effort. It will, as always, fly by at an incredibly speed. The only difference is that it'll be my last semester as a college student.

I'm not sure that I know how to function outside of being a student. I throughly enjoy staying up-late, blaming a cookie and coffee diet on exam stress and having someone else pay my rent. I'm not sure how much that flies in the real world.

But in honesty, it's not really leaving college that scares me. It's a life of ordinary that I'm afraid of. Perhaps I just watch The Office too much or maybe I've been tainted by 9-5 job cliches, either way, I'm worried that my last semester of college will be the last time in my life where I am free from restrictions on how to live.

But maybe, the only lessons I'll ever learn aren't the ones in this bubble of a college town. Maybe, and hopefully, the rest of my life will be phases of life lessons -- a constant state of growing, moving, changing -- all for the better, all pointing me in the direction of who I will be. And maybe, that's the lesson in itself; things change, we change, circumstances never stay still, and once we accept that, we can start to learn from it.

I don't want to leave, but I'm looking forward to where I'm going.


On a completely unrelated note, Florence + The Machine's Cosmic Love is the greatest song to ever happen to my finals week playlist. Actually, the entire Lungs album is. Give yourself a Christmas present if you don't already have it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment