Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter Flowers.


It's early in the morning, well 8:30 -- early for this college senior, and all I want to do is crawl into a ball and go back to bed. That isn't on the agenda today, I have an exam in the afternoon so I have my pandora on a dreamy station, a steamy cup of coffee by my side and my window open so I can hear the birds and feel the breeze. I want to go back to bed, but this way of studying is an equally good alternative.

I'm studying for my final final. You read it right, the last exam I will ever take as a student at Penn State. I'll fill my brain with knowledge of mass media history for the next few hours, only to take the exam and lose half of the names and dates I had known so well an hour before. I wish I could revel in this a little more, but I still have several assignments and projects to keep me busy for the next few days.

I want to try to process the last four years, but summarizing what has happened, who I've become, who I've met, triumphs and shortcomings along the way .. it seems way too daunting of a task to even think of, let alone squeeze into a short little blog post.

I can't really summarize 4 years. Which is good, because nobody is asking me to. But I can say a few things about my current state of mind: Easter Flowers.

Since getting my driver's license, it's always been my task to go out with my sisters the night before Easter and buy my mom and grandmom Easter flowers. It's simple, sweet and is always a guarantee to make them happy. Never, in a million years, can I imagine giving my mom Easter flowers and having her be disappointed or dissatisfied. That constancy is a good thing.

I fear leaving my carefree and happy days of college and being jaded by the world; working a job that's miserable for a bit to get my foot in the door (likely) or working an 8-5 job that leaves me unfulfilled and totally drained (more likely). My fear in this isn't those jobs or those feelings, it's in not finding joy in my "Easter flowers."

My Easter flowers are what I'm doing right now. Listening to good music, drinking coffee, writing and admiring the still clam streets of my home through my window. Whether I'm studying for a test, having a qt, applying for jobs or just taking a few moments to relax, I hope the things that make me happy now will always make me happy. I hope that I am never dissatisfied with a clam, cool morning, my caffeine and Pandora streaming.I don't think I ever will. I don't think I ever could.

Here are some of our Easter flowers from this weekend:




Okay. Tucker isn't a flower, but how look stinkin' cute he is

No comments:

Post a Comment