Saturday, September 3, 2011

hurricane pizza

this delicious piece of heaven may not have anything to do with a hurricane, but it was born as a product of watching 8,000 hours of hurricane Irene coverage. No, but really.

As I sat in my tennessee apartment where it was sunny and 1,000 degrees outside, my pennsylvania-native roommate and I spent a good portion of last weekend glued to CNN as we kept our eye on our beloved Northeast and news anchors told us "this storm is unique because of its size" and "there will be a storm surge" 20 times per hour. At 9 am we were really into it, curled up on our couch with our coffee, but by 9 pm when it was apparent that most everyone in the Northeast was going to be just fine, we were wine CNN drunk and couldn't stop laughing at the poor reporters getting hit by sea foam.

post vicious attack

So, we decided to watch Sex and the City and make pizza.. which brings you hurricane pizza.

The ingredients on this are pretty outlandish, but this will seriously be the most heavenly specimen of pizza you may ever eat. So as I list off what you need, don't be all 'oh no she didn't' because trust me it'll kick you in the mouth with flavor. 

Here it is, you need:

1. your favorite pizza dough
2. a few slices of mozarella cheese
3. a few slices of jack cheese
4. blue cheese
5. fig preserves or jam
6. green onions
7. honey mustard


cheese. yes.

So roll out your dough, you can buy pre-made but it's cheaper and more delicious to make your own. I made this one with 1/2 of a 84 cent package of quick rising dough. Add warm water, wait five minutes and it's ready to go.

Then, add that ridiculous fig jam. It's super sweet, so don't over do it, just a light spread.  **because if you over do it, it'll be too sweet and you'll want to throw it out and you'll have wasted all of your ingredients and you'll still be hungry and nobody will be happy -- so just don't do it. 


Then add all that cheese.


Then half of the onions


Now it's time to bake it, I wish I could say I had an exact time and temp that works but I usually keep it spontaneous. Sometimes it's 350 for 15 minutes, or 425 for 10. Jut wait till its gooey and the crust gets golden, then your good to go. 

At this point, try not to be overcome by your instinct to rip this apart and inhale it, hold out because it's about to get really good.

Add the other half of your green onions, then dip a fork or knife into honey mustard and drizzle it on top and finish it off with a little pepper.




Cut it up and eat it right away because by this point the anticipation should be killing you and you deserve some relief. The flavor combos on this thing will really change your life.







I've found that this pizza pairs well with a Pennsylvania brewed lager and a lazy weekend, but you can eat it however you want. 


2 comments:

  1. OMG. That looks SO good. I am adding this to my to-cook list.

    And hey! Don't be laughing at the weather people stuck out in the hurricane-- that was me! Lol. Except I saw no sea foam, just lots of waves and debris.

    ReplyDelete